In less than a week, on Saturday, October 27, Iowans will have opportunity to join in a significant rally for peace and for ending the Iraq war that will take place in downtown Des Moines. A lot of people have already said they'll be there.
Many people have committed themselves to helping out with specific tasks in conducting the rally, but we still need more volunteers. Would you please consider helping in one or more of the following ways next Saturday? If so, please email me soon to let me know which item or items you can give us a hand with.
1. Help to arrange caskets around the Nollen Plaza perimeter at 3:00 p.m.
2. Help to attach flags to the caskets at approximately 3:15 p.m.
3. Serve as ushers at Nollen Plaza from 4 to 5:15 p.m. to distribute song sheets and circulate decorated collection boxes for donations. All ushers will wear identification arm bands. (Free will, voluntary donations will be collected in order to help defray the financial costs of the rally).
4. Help carry a very light weight symbolic casket in the eleven block procession. We need 200 casket carriers all together. Many people have already volunteered. We need many more. There will be parade marshals directing the procession, and we will have police escort.
5. Be one of a team of two carrying the lead banner in the parade.
6. Be one of a team of two carrying a banner at the rear of the casket procession.
7. Be a flag bearer in the procession (carrying a 4' x 6' flag on flag pole). We need five people for this.
8. Serve as ushers at the capitol west terrace from about 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. to assist people and circulate small, decorated collection boxes for donations. Some of you who help in this way during the Nollen Plaza portion of the rally might be willingto do this also at the west terrace. Ushers will wear identification arm bands.
9. Be a candle lighter at the start of the candle lighting ceremony on the west terrace. The ceremony will start at about 6:45 p.m. Again, some who serve as ushers might be willing to serve as candle lighters as well.
10. For some of the physically stronger, help load the caskets into a truck following the conclusion of the candle lighting ceremony at about 7:15 p.m.
YOUR HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED. Email me at email@example.com or phone at (515) 964-1353 . THANK YOU.
ANTI-WAR NIGHT AT UPTOWN BILL’S
FEATURING MUSIC BY:
PIGS AND CLOVER
GREG AND JEAN
MARV HAIN JR
JESUS DON’T LIKE KILLIN’
(with Iowa NEA P & J Caucus menber JP Claussen)
But donations are welcome!
7:00 – 10:00
at Uptown Bill’s Small Mall
401 S Gilbert St, Iowa City
Call Marv at