It is very appropriate that we use this 300th post of the NEA Midwest Peace and Justice Blog to bring you news of joining us in our living memory of NEA Peace and Justice Caucus leader and Pioneer Paul Mann. As we remember Paul today in our thoughts, we ask you to join us in remembering him with action. We believe that's exactly what Paul would be doing right now. Join us in bringing the basic right of an education to the students of Chiapas, Mexico.
The Paul Mann Memorial School & Music Center
Making Paul’s School a Reality at the 2008 NEA Convention--We NEED YOU to Help with this Worthy Project
Background: On July 2, 2008 hundreds of key NEA leaders will join the NEA by awarding Paul Mann the Applegate-Dorros International Understanding and Peace Award at the NEA Human and Civil Right's Dinner. These leaders will see the video including footage of The Paul Mann Memorial School and hear Lola Mann’s moving appeal of support for that school. Twelve hours later, first thing the next morning, is our best opportunity to gather resources for Paul’s school. After that we will have several days of the convention to tie up loose ends and “grow the pot” for Paul’s school with the "Pass the hat for Paul" campaign.
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE "PASS THE HAT FOR PAUL" TALKING POINTS.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE LETTER THAT IS BEING SENT TO STATE PRESIDENTS.
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS ONE OF OUR "PASS THE HAT FOR PAUL" GRAPHICS. Directions are listed on the post.
PLEASE WATCH OUR VIDEO PROMOTING THE EVENT &
SEND IT FORWARD TO OTHER NEA RA DELEGATES FROM YOU STATE
When: 8:00 a.m., July 3, 2008. until 8:30 a.m., July 3, 2008
What: “Pass the hat for Paul” collections for the Paul Mann Memorial School
Where: 50 state caucus (plus other affiliates such as Federal) meetings in fancy hotels throughout the Washington, DC area.
Who: Three to ten supporters of Paul’s school in each and every state caucus will pass the hat after one person is recognized on a point of “personal privilege” to energize and motivate donations to the school. Lola herself will speak in California (if at all possible!).
How: Supporters speak IN ADVANCE to their state presidents and make an agreement to “Pass the hat for Paul” in the state caucus at 8am on July 3, 2008 for Paul’s school. Supporters will also have to wake up REALLY EARLY to distribute fliers and envelopes as delegates arrive at the state caucus meeting. Supporters will also have carefully planned what “HAT” they will pass around and how they will keep it moving until everyone has a chance to donate.
Additional details: Beginning on Monday, June 30, 2008 and continuing through Sunday, July 6, 2008 there will be a daily prize drawing for everyone who has donated to the Paul Mann Memorial School. (WE NEED PRIZES!!!???) Any state which does not hold their collection on July 3 will be urged to do so on July 4 or July 6. On the last day of the convention Paul Mann supporters will again distribute flyers before their state caucuses THANKING delegates for their donations and informing NEA delegates how much has been raised. A final collection will be made in the state caucuses on that last day – July 6, 2008.
Needed Now from
- CLICK HERE to provide a prize or prizes for the daily drawing of donors.
- CLICK HERE to volunteer to the the Prize Drawing Coordinator.
- CLICK HERE to be a motivational speaker for each state caucus. It would be nice to have more than one speaker to July 3, 2008. It would be nice to have follow up speakers for subsequent days.
- CLICK HERE to be a State Caucus Coordinator.
- CLICK HERE to be one of the TWO to NINE delegates from each state caucus to make the collections.
- CLICK HERE to bring a unique "hat" or "hats" to pass around the caucus.
- CLICK HERE to volunteers to deliver fliers at the doorways EVERYWHERE at the RA.
- CLICK HERE to be the "literature distribution coordinator."
- CLICK HERE to volunteer to staff informational tables from Monday, June 30 until Sunday, July 6, 2008.
- CLICK HERE to volunteer to be a "table coordinator."
- CLICK HERE to volunteer to be the driver, scheduler, facilitator, and coordinator for Lola Mann.
- Luck, prayers, lots of good humor, hard work, and just a touch of audacity.
Click Here to Donate by Buying a Paul Mann Memorial School Bond.
If you can help with any of our requests, please respond to Peter Brown. Also send all questions to the Project Coordinator Peter Brown.
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO POST A COMMENT ON THIS BLOG ENTRY WITH YOUR PLEDGE TO HELP MAKE PAUL'S DREAM A REALITY.